Sunday, October 2, 2011

Art Exploration # 1_Albright Knox


A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 
I was very excited to go to the Albright Knox so I can see the long term installation scribbles on Walls. This was created by Sol Lewitt and the scribbles were drawn with graphite on three walls. I am so impressed on how this artwork was purely done with scribbles and in the darkest parts of the art, there is still white. It looks as if there are three dimensional pipes on the walls and I honestly loved this piece the most because of the talent and beauty it possesses. 

Another piece of art I was intrigued with was Junk by Tony Ousler. This piece was a fiberglass sculpture with a DVD projection. This was so eye catching and was the first piece I saw when I entered the room upstairs. It was so real and it kept repeating sentences and words. It was so interesting to watch it and see the eyeballs and mouth moving and looking around. 

Another intriguing piece of art was, The liver is the cocks comb by Ashile Gorky. It was made in 1944 with oil on canvas. This was the first piece I was drawn too while walking into the Albright Knox.  It had so many colors and was very bright. It had both a vertical and horizontal balance. The objects were horizontal while the background was vertical. It reminded me of an old cartoon with monsters that were destroying something. It had many claw looking hands/paws which made me think of that. It gave me both a negative and positive vibe but stuck out in my head the whole time.

B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 
I felt a connection with was Nana by Niki de Saint Phalle. It was created by using mixed media. I felt the connection because it was girly and pink with hearts all over it. It looked as if she was reaching out for something. I am a romantic person and this felt as if she was reaching out for love. 

I also felt a connection with Tear by Jaye Rhee. It was made in 2002 and is a four channel video installation with sound. It is a four minute long video in which a woman is making the same movements and producing the same awful noise of thick cloth tearing apart. Sometimes I feel like I repeat myself day after day and it gets boring and annoying. Sometimes life just feels like it is slowly tearing apart. 

The third piece I felt a connection with is Indefinite Divisibility by Yves Tanguy. It was created in 1942 by oil on canvas. It is a painting that shows multiple objects and nothing looks very familiar. It is hard to imagine what the artist wanted the viewer to think or say. I sometimes feel like I can’t get my point across very well and everything just gets jumbled up like this painting. 

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why? 
 Extruded Video Engine by Peter Sarkisian was very extravagant. He created this piece in 2007 and used thermal plastic and video projection. As I walked into the very dark room this piece was in, I was instantly amazed at what I saw. It looked like a colorful engine with noises on what a machine sounds like. I thought at first the piece was full on metal parts and screens that words and colors were moving on. I then read the title and realized it was a projection onto plastic. I want to know more about how they get the projection to look 3D and line up perfectly to create this illusion.

I would also like to know more about Endless Victory by John F Simon Jr. He created this piece in 2005 with acrylic plastic and an Apple Powerbook. I walked up to this piece on the wall thinking it was just a sculpture coming off the wall. However I then realized that one of the “plastic looking rectangles” was actually a thin computer projecting images. I would like to know more about this piece to see if it is a video replaying itself and what the message of the video is trying to provide to the viewer. 

Another piece of a art I would like to find out more about is Fragment 2 for Composition VII by Wassily Kandinsky. It was created in 1913 with oil on canvas. In this piece, there are fragments with a variety of colors separating them. I took a lot of time to stand and try 
to piece out an object of familiarity. I could not find anything that stood out to me. I would like to know more about this piece so I can analyze what the artist felt and wanted me to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment