Friday, October 28, 2011

Hands Exploration

1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing? Using my hand as subject matter was fairly easy for the most part because I look at my hands every day and study them without even acknowledging it. It was obviously accessible because I have two hands.
2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why? I chose to use a pencil because I felt I may have more control when I was drawing with my left hand if I used pencil.
3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand? It was very difficult for me to create a drawing with my left hand because I am not coordinated with my left hand. I had no control with holding the pencil or shading. I was unable to put tension on the pencil to make spots darker either.
4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies? I think truly almost anything can be considered successful studies. It all depends on who is viewing it and what they interpret. However, I like the drawing where I used my right hand because it is more realistic looking than the drawing I did with my left hand. Having them side by side is interesting to look at. If it was to be in the same portrait it could create curiosity among the viewers. Both drawings are shaped as hands and you can tell exactly what they are. However, the drawing I did with my right hand is more technical and is fully shaded, compared to the left hand drawing which I had trouble shading and could not fully control the results.
5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future? I would not consider using my non dominant hand in the future only because it was frustrating and it took a lot longer to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment