Thursday, October 20, 2011

Video Reviews


1) I chose these three videos because the titles attracted me as if they were interesting videos and I wanted to know more about them, especially the Cario Museum because I have always been interesting in the history and artifacts of Egypt.
2) Key concepts of the videos I reviewed
The Illuminated Manuscript
Monasteries were centers of knowledge. Monks created written works to spread the word of the Bible. However, most citizens were illiterate. Each book was copied by hand and most monasteries only had about 20 books and the monks wanted to preserve knowledge, writers write so the future may learn.
The process of creating a book was very long and labor intensive and had several steps. They worked from dawn to dusk and had barely any brakes. However after a book was finished there was a celebration. Scribes believed there was demon that made them make mistakes and these mistakes would be used against at their final judgment. The most used textbook was the glossed bible.
Sign of wealth was to have books copied and illuminated until the printing press replaced scribes.
Cairo Museum
Egypt in the land of unsolved mysteries. There are 160,000 artifacts in museum but only half are on display. It is also traditional to only show half the artifacts at one time. The others are beneath the sands and hidden. Valley of the Kings (40 mummies of kings) was discovered by a goat herder who sold many of its treasures at market and was brought over 3,000 years ago. Conservation is important part of the discovery process and being able to put them on display and make recreations. There is still so much to be displayed and found within the temples. The museum is mysterious and full of life.
The Greek Awakening
Greeks wanted humans to be represented more realistically then stylistically. Greece and Athens is the birthplace of western civilization. The Greek awakening is the revolution of art, architecture, philosophy, and theatre. About 3 million people visit the acropolis every year. "Perfect symmetry"-looks perfect because made corrections to compensate for viewer's vision (a straight line will look bowed, therefore building it bowed makes it look straight). Sections of the frieze and pediment at the Parthenon are on display at the British museum. Greeks shaped the way we think about ourselves and our sense of history, philosophy and thinking. Greeks built huge theatres for dramatic presentations, comedies, and tragedies.

3) How do these videos relate to the reading in the text?
The videos gave me more of a visual sense to the artwork discussed in the book. I read the text and look at pictures however, I understand the art more when the narrator describes the past to me with visuals and describes the steps it takes to create the piece with visual aids. I saw the same examples in the reading and the videos.

4) What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts? The illuminated manuscript was very repetitive to me. I felt as if they were breaching the same concept over and over but I received many facts from the video which was helpful. The Cario Museum was my favorite because I am not huge with history, however I have always loved hearing about Egypt. The concepts and art was more thoroughly described within the videos and I really enjoyed seeing the artifiacts on display. The Greek Awakening was kind of boring yet it taught me a variety of facts about the Greeks and what they have contributed to this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment